Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Really Bad Audition :(

Ok, so unlike I'd hoped Sunday's audition went terribly. I realized just what an impact starting late can have. I know I have accomplished a lot, but sometimes I wonder if it's enough to make it as a pro. I started at 13, was en pointe at one of America's most prestigious academies within a year, (I started 3 weeks ago, I'm 14 now). But I am still extremely behind, a fact that I tried to deny until my last audition. I console myself with the fact that I have come extremely far for a year, but is it far enough? No matter what, there's no way I'm giving up. I love it just way too much. So what exactly happened at this audition? Well, it was for pretty much THE most prestigious academies in the world, or their summer intensive at least. The Bolshoi. I was doing wonderufully until the teacher called those 6 words: "Put on your pointe shoes now". He had us attempting fuoettes, pirouettes, pique turns, and so much more. Not only was I too terrified to even do what I do know how to do (echappes, SLOW pique turns, not 30 in a row, etc.), but I simply didn't know how to do much of it. I fell off pointe multiple times. It was just embarresing. By the end I was in tears.

:( (My computer isn't letting me put pics up. Urgh.)

But, while I was threatening to quit everything I love (a.k.a. ballet), my mom said, "Well, how badly do you want this?" I knew the answer. I knew it in every particle of my body. I want it. I want ballet to be my life. At that moment I realized quitting was not an option. Thank you, Mom. <3

Have you ever had a really bad audition?

How did you cope?


xBest Wishes!

5 comments:

  1. Everyone has a bad audition once in a while and as you've only been studying pointe for 3 weeks, it's understandable that the pointe portion of the audition was not your strong suit.

    Try to focus for a bit on the parts of the audition that DID go well and allow yourself to feel good about that. Then consider the parts that were not so great and write out some attainable goals for yourself. Next, decide how you'll work toward these over the next months or year. Having a plan will help you move on from a bad experience. In fact, congrats on a bad audition :) What a great opportunity to grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you have really accomplished alot already and you should be proud of those things. I've only been doing ballet for a year, 3 classes a week and practice everyday at home and yesterday my teacher told me that to be en pointe within 5 years is a lofty goal!

    Beleive me, you're doing very well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys both for such great/supportive advice! It's people like my readers that make me want to keep blogging and keep dancing! <<33

    ReplyDelete
  4. My worst audition actually happened fairly recently! My music skipped which made me completely off of the music. I was so embarrassed and I, too, cried.

    Seeking comfort, I called my boyfriend who told me, "Anne, you and I both know that God told you to dance. Don't let one bad audition make you change what the God of the Universe has told you and has proven to you."

    I dont know if you are spiritual, but that was exactly the words I needed to hear! I have always loved dance and I have always wanted to use ballet in my career, but hearing him say that has made me even MORE determined to reach my dreams.

    I am so happy that you too aren't quitting the thing you love just because of one audition!

    Happy Dancing!
    anne:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can definitely become a pro if you work hard! You may not be at the same level as different girls your age, but by the time you're 18 you'll be just as good if not better. Work hard xx

    ReplyDelete