Monday, July 19, 2010

D.I. Diaries: Entry 1- FEET!

PART 1: OW. OWWWW. OW OW OWWWWWW!!!! That is what I wish I could do out loud. Just howl with pain. My feet hurt sooo bad. That was a lot of dancing. *Exhales for about 10 seconds, exhaustedly*. And sorry I'm not going to add images to the ones this week I left my camera charger at a friend's.

So in case you're not up to date with some random person on the internet's (my) life, I just started my first day of a 2 week dance intensive.

We had 2 hours of ballet, which was fun, but tiring. Next we had lunch (at 12) and after that had stretching & conditioning, then jazz & contemporary. And just like that, 5 hours had flown by!

PART 2: This part is for tips/advice. So the focus on Entry 1's Part 2 will be feet, since they get sooo sore. I only sat once that whole day, and that was at lunch. So tips for keeping your tootsies happy:

* Get a hand towel wet with lukewarm (or hot, whichever you prefer) water and soak your feet, You could also soak them in a tub, but I like massage with a towel.
* Scrub with an exfoliant
* Massage with lotion or foot butter. Anything works, truthfully the brand doesn't matter to me as long as it doesn't smell putrid and leave a greasy residue.

Ta-da! Your feet should be pretty happy!

PART 3: Topic question:

How do you save feet in dire need of attention? How do you keep them from getting too sore?

3 comments:

  1. Well, don't get foot pain that much anymore, because every morning, I do my ankle stretches, so my feet are used to hard work. But when I first started Intensive, my feet hurt, too. I just kind of massages them a little bit, I guess. I remember that my Achilles Tendon hurt the worst, and I couldn't do a plie the next day, or day after that, but I went away by the next week of camp. Your ideas are really good! Recently, I've been working on beats, so my thighs are really sore. Do you have any remedies for that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A while back one of my guest bloggers offered a great foot bathing routine for overworked feet that involves first a warm bath, then a cool bath. You can add salts or other soaking goodies and she recommended witch hazel before applying moisturizer afterward. You can read the whole thing, the article is called Dancer "Feetness."

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for the thighs thing: stretches on the barre really help! And thank you Nichelle, I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete