Thursday, July 8, 2010

Straddle Splits! Ahhh!!

I will here discuss one of my worst nightmares... straddle splits! They are impossibly difficult to achieve and the stretch my teacher makes us do is insane. We lie back facing floor, and then, against the wall, do as big a straddle as we can muster. We sit like that for 5 minutes until the force of gravity is so strong and cruel our legs have a burning sensation and we can't get up. Just in case you can't picture it, it's like this:

By the way this is not me and I own no rights to this photo. I give all credit to IRAdance.com and intend no copyright infringement.

It's utterly ridiculous. However, it works, and I could feel more flexible already. I don't know though if I will ever achieve the straddle splits, fully. With front splits it's easier because it is based less on your hip shape and more on your muscles. For me, anyway. With straddles, unless you have a specific hip shape it wont be easy. Hopefully though it will be possible for me to achieve them with time and work. I'll keep you posted (I realize I am still talking to no one :P)

How do you feel about straddle splits?

Have you achieved them?

If you haven't, do you want to?

What stretches do you do?

2 comments:

  1. How do you feel about straddle splits?

    I hate practicing them, but in the long run, I am glad because I am stronger.

    Have you achieved them?

    NO! They are too hard, and my hips are really tight. But Im close!

    If you haven't, do you want to?

    I want to so badly! I could do many more ballet steps perfectly if I could do one.

    What stretches do you do?

    I do 15 min of ankle stretches and 15 min of wall splits in the morning, and in the afternoon, I practice my barre from Intensive

    I have written out a schedule for ballet at my blog that includes straddle splits. Just click on daily routine, on the left side of my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't nearly achieved them either! But I've gotten better. My teacher said I have really deep hips which means I'm not as flexible that way, I'm more flexible with front splits though. So I'll probably never get them fully, but hopefully I'll get close!
    Your Daily Routine article was AWESOME! So was your Stretch Sequences post! They were both really helpful. Your blog is great, do you mind if maybe I do a post about it? Just to like spread the word and stuff? 'Cause it has a lotta helpful info on there!

    ReplyDelete