Thursday, July 8, 2010

Surviving a Summer Dance Intensive

Yup--that's right, I again find myself experiencing extreme boredom, hence the second blog of the day! But I'm not just writing because I'm bored. I am writing because I like writing, I need a creative outlet, and I think this is a worthwhile topic in case by some miracle you dropped by and decided to read this.

Many of us, myself included, are attending intensives and 5+ hour a day dance (and really any other type of athletic) camps this summer. So what will get you through? I know I get tired after an intense two hour session, so how will I get through 5 to 6 hours? Three staple things: Food, rest, and WATER!!! Below I will write detailed tips about the 3 staples to getcha through this "intense" (as the name "intensive implies) amount of dance, or really any type of intense sport or exercise (i.e. this works for soccer camps, horse camps...).
No copyright infringement intended. All copyrights (c) go to Joffrey.com and Herbert Migdoll, photographer.

FOOD


(c) flickr.com

It is vital to eat well with vigorous exercise, and for dance this is especially important. This means no Twinkies! But it also means you shouldn't skip out on filling food. You NEED the fuel, and eating two measly meals a day also wont do. So here are some tips to help get you through it and keep you energized.
~Eat things with lots of fiber, you'll be much fuller.
~Whole grains provide long-lasting energy. All-white Wonderbread doesn't.
~Eat a wide, wide array of natural colors. You probably have heard this a million times over from moms, lunch aides, etc. but it's SO important to keep balanced!
~Meat & protein is important for muscles!
~Multivitamins are a good back-up in case you don't get enough in your diet.
~Bring about 5 or more granola bars, they really sustain you. I'd recommend Cliff, Kashi, or Special K if you have a sweet tooth like me!
~OK, now I'm not going to lie, although it isn't exactly "all-natural", sports drinks like Gatorade can really give you that extra kick sometimes. But DON'T rely on it. Have it at most every other day so you're body doesn't get trained to crave sugar, and don't have more than a bottle in a day. This leads me to our next topic. In order to stay hydrated, you need lots of...


WATER!


(c) yalesustainability.wordpess.com

Drinking water is so, SO vital. Here are some tips.
~Drink AS MUCH water as OFTEN as you possibly can. That means in between breaks, etc. Your body needs far more water than you think, especially when you're sweating it all out! You need about twice as much water than you actually get thirsty for. If you're really thirsty, that's not so good.
~Some places recommend as much as a cup of water every 15 minutes before, after, and even during intense dance (& other exercise). Obviously, this seems like an impossible amount to consume, not to mention you'd have to pee like crazy. I'd say about 2 cups an hour is good to shoot for. (I am not a doctor or trained professional, however. If you really want specific amounts, consult a pro).
~Increase fluid (water) consumption for 3 hours after dancing.


REST



(c) uvm.edu

Rest is also vitally important. There's more to it than just, "OK, I'll try and get some sleep", so read up!
~Most intensives, whether they're sleepaway or not, start early. Many people tend to stay up late and wake up late, so this change of sleeping schedule can be difficult. The best thing to do is get into a routine, and stick with it. This could be dinner, shower, relax, sleep, or shower, dinner, relax, sleep, or it could include watching your favorite TV show, or whatever you please. Just make sure it's always at the same time, that way you can train your body to know when it's winding down for sleep.
~Experts recommend winding down an hour before sleep. Reading a simple, quiet book for the 5th time or sitting in a massage chair (or just a comfy chair/couch) for a while listening to calming music are good example. Rocking out with buds playing the Wii, etc. are not.

6 comments:

  1. I am loving my summer intensive right now! These are all great advice.

    And the dogs in UP were always saying squirrel. They would be doing something and randomly yell Squirrel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you so much! That means a lot!

    Haha Squirrel! That's awesome. Thanks so much for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Horse Feathers! I loved your blog by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! This is an amazing list! I am definitely linking to this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh thank you so much! I really appreciate everybody's support!

    ReplyDelete